Openscript is an IDE for Oracle Application Testing Suite, this IDE had been built on top of Eclipse as a plugin to support creation and maintenance of Functional and Load testing automated scripts.
Functional automation testing tool:
Openscript can be used to create test scripts for different purposes like functional automation testing, web services testing, load testing, database testing. Keeping the scope of current article to functional automation testing we shall learn the features of it.
With the help of openscript tool we can record the steps or actions performed on application under test by an user. The tool currently has the ability to record the applications in various browsers like Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.
Functional automation test engineers can either convert these recorded test scripts to their respective automation framework or can play back them post stabilization of test scripts. Openscript has the ability to play back the test scripts in various browsers like Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google chrome.
Openscript has gained its pace with respect to functional automation and has a lot of advantages, I did recommend you to go through the article advantages of openscript.
As openscript is developed over the eclipse framework and has java as its scripting language there are no limits for the ability. It can also be extended to high levels. It has a highly user friendly UI features which lets the non programmers to use at ease.
Different types of functional testing:
Openscript can be used to test automate any UI based functional testing scenarios or test cases. In the later sections of this article you can learn the types of applications it can and cannot automate.
The developed automation test scripts can be used in different types of functional testing as listed below:
- Sanity Testing
- Smoke Testing
- Regression Testing
- Integration Testing
- User Acceptance Testing
History or evolution:
Openscript has started with version 8.5, with each new release of OATS, Openscript has extended its support to automate different kinds of applications and added more features to increase its capability. The latest general available release is 188.8.131.52.
Following are the list of applications it can automate and various features added at respective releases of OATS.
- Web Applications
- Oracle EBS/Forms – supported with Java Runtime Environment 1.6.0_10 to 1.6.0_65 and 1.7.0 to 1.7.0_65.
- Oracle Siebel
- Oracle Fusion ( ADF )
- Adobe Flex
- Oracle JD Edwards
- Custom built ADF applications
Following are the list of browsers it supports for record and play back of openscript test scripts.
- Internet Explorer 7.x, 8.x., 9.x
- Firefox 3.5/3.6, 6.x, 10.x, 24.x
- Chrome 27 to 31 (playback only).
Added a new functional automation framework to optimize the test automation life cycle, which is called as Oracle Flow Builder, It comes with built in content for test automation of Oracle EBS application. Following are the list of built in test assets that are available.
- Oracle EBS R12.1.3 content – EBS starter pack (free with 2000+ components across each product family) and advance pack (paid)
- Oracle EBS R12.2.4 content – EBS starter pack (free with 2000+ components across each product family) and advance pack (paid)
In order to understand the detailed evolution of openscript and what are all the additions happened at each release of Openscript, I did recommend you to give a detailed read of the article evolution of openscript and get the detailed understanding.
Applications which openscript can automate:
- Openscript can automate all the web based applications along with Oracle EBS application related technology stack components like Oracle EBS OAF pages, Oracle Forms, Oracle Seible, Oracle JD Edwards.
- It can automate adobe flex applications, those are the ones which are developed by Adobe Flash Macromedia, except for the areas where images are to be compared and verified.
- It can also automate all the applications developed by Oracle ADF, the popularly known ERP Oracle Fusion can be test automated using Openscript. Even the custom developed Oracle ADF applications can be test automated.
- Though it cannot record the details steps for operations or actions performed on telnet screens, openscript can take help of a third party library to test automate the telnet based applications.
Applications which openscript cannot automate:
- Openscript cannot automate the windows based applications which are either developed by Java , VB, Dot Net , VC++, etc.. Even MS Office related applications cannot be automated through UI. But on the other hand openscript can still read or write data Microsoft Excel or Word applications through Java libraries like poi.
- Openscript cannot automate the Terminal Emulator based applications.
- Openscript cannot automate any ActiveX components.
Founder of TestingTools.co, constantly shares knowledge on different test automation tools. Has experience in building proof of concepts, solutions, frameworks, platforms & implementation of test automation projects.
In pursuit of building a platform with inbuilt framework and reusable components for Oracle Cloud applications ( Oracle HCM, CX, SCM, Financials clouds, Salesforce and other cloud applications )
Major accomplishments in his career:
Product architect and development manager for test automation platforms
Oracle Flow Builder @ Oracle
CloudTestr @ Suneratech
2 times to oracle open world
More than 20 successful POCs ( Proof of concepts )
Designed pricing models.
Trained more than 50 members.
Built more than 100 re-usable functions.
Worked with tools: