Test automation starts with feasibility analysis for any project, it includes activities like identifying the list of software automation testing tools and analyse which all can automate the client’s application, support and budget.
- Feasibility analysis can be best done by navigating through all the screens of application under test and list all the unique possible UI components of the application. Evaluate the % of UI components which can be automated by each automation testing tool, here we need to understand that at times we may not be able to automate every UI component present in application under test.
- As part of feasibility analysis we may have to figure out ways if any automation testing tool can help to automate those UI components by performing few tweaks or by any alternative identification mechanism. It is always recommended to select an automation testing tool which gives flexibility to extend.
- It is always recommended to chose an automation testing tool for which there is a support team to take care of issues or queries, it plays a very vital role in between of the project to address any uncertainties that arise.
- Once we drill down to a smaller list of automation testing tools which can automate the client’s application have some POCs done with respect to each automation testing tool to understand the intricacies. This will help to take a better decision on which automation testing tool to be proposed. Also, it is advised to document all the observations when creating the POCs, it would help during the actual automation testing cycle of the project.
- None the least capture the cost that need to be incurred as sometimes budget can play an important role on the decision making. Come up with a best possible balance of automation testing coverage and optimal budget.
Request to share your queries or suggestions in the form of comments.
Founder of TestingTools.co, constantly shares knowledge on different test automation tools. Has experience in building proof of concepts, solutions, frameworks, platforms & implementation of test automation projects.
In pursuit of building a platform with inbuilt framework and reusable components for Oracle Cloud applications ( Oracle HCM, CX, SCM, Financials clouds, Salesforce and other cloud applications )
Major accomplishments in his career:
- Product architect and development manager for test automation platforms
- Oracle Flow Builder @ Oracle
- CloudTestr @ Suneratech
- 2 times to oracle open world
- More than 20 successful POCs ( Proof of concepts )
- 100 demos
- Designed pricing models.
- Trained more than 50 members.
- Built more than 100 re-usable functions.
Worked with tools: